Below are a list of resources for those looking to improve your nutrition. Remember, you are what you eat!
- CrossFit Journal Issue 15: Nutrition – Avoiding Metobolic Derrangement (Free Issue)
- Online Food Journal (Apps Exist for iPhone, DROID, PC etc.)
- Book: The Paleo Diet Loren Cordain, Ph.D
- Book: The Omnivores Dilemma Michael Pollan
- Blog: Mark’s Daily Apple – Success Stories, Store, Forums
- Blog: My Paelo Kitchen – Recipes with Pictures
- Blog: Everyday Paleo – Written by CrossFit Trainer, Recipes with Pictures
- Quick Paleo Food List
- Store: Purchase Paleo Kits (search on google for various Paleo Kit options)
- Blog: Foodee Blog – Daily Paleo Recipes
- Blog: PaNu – Paleolithic nutrition – duplicating the evolutionary metabolic milieu
- CrossFit Journal Issue 21: Zone Meal Plans (Free Issue)
- Book: Mastering the Zone Barry Sears, Ph.D
- Book: Zone Perfect Cookbook
- Official Zone Web site
- Zone Blocks Calculator – Calculate the number of blocks per day
- Zone Blocks Spreadsheet Calculator – enter the number of blocks and serving sizes calculate for you
Nutrition Blog Posts
- Of Course Food Affects Your Brain! “It’s common to joke about kids being on a sugar high after a party, so all of us know –on some level–that food influences how kids behave. But how many of us realize the extent to which our children’s day-to-day actions are shaped and molded by the foods we feed them? An experiment on the effects of ...
- Use A Low Carb Diet During Training To Spare Glycogen Stores On Race Day Reminder: HAPPY HOUR TONIGHT, 5:30PM @ BRICKSIDE FOOD & DRINK IN BETHESDA. WE’LL BE THERE UNTIL AT LEAST 8PM, SO FEEL FREE TO COME BY AFTER THE EVENING CLASSES. “Before you binge out on pasta dinners and bagel breakfasts, you might want to take a serious look at what researchers are reporting about “carbo-loading” before a ...
- Are Cholesterol Levels REALLY that important? “Is cholesterol the villain it is made out to be by the medical authorities? Does too much cholesterol cause heart disease? Will it shorten your life? Should you avoid saturated fats to stay free from heart disease? The answers to these questions are not the ones most people would anticipate. The video below provides a ...
- Is Your Diet Helping Your Brain? “‘The brain thrives on a fat-rich, low-carbohydrate diet, which unfortunately is relatively uncommon in human populations today,’ says. Carbohydrates typically thought of as healthy, even brown rice, 100% whole grain bread, or quinoa—mainstays of many of the most health-conscious kitchens—cause disorders like dementia, ADHD, chronic headaches, and Alzheimer’s, over a lifetime of consumption. By removing ...
- Easy To Understand Paleo Workout of the Day Snatch Find your 1 rep max. Power or Squat. Dealer’s Choice. Post your scores to the Whiteboard.
- Its Not Paleo!!! Here are the top 10 things that may be sabotaging your ability to loose fat that have nothing to do with the Paleo diet: Stress – Good and bad stress can create release the hormone cortisol in the body which can increase appetite. We also know that stress can lead to emotional eating causing us to ...
- Medical Waste “In my third year of medical school, I nearly failed one of the notoriously easier clerkships: family medicine. My preceptor – a morbidly obese, overworked woman – had urged me repeatedly over the course of the six-week rotation to speed up my office visits. She insisted that I cover the patient’s medication list, discuss ...
- Let’s Talk Autoimmune Disorders “Your immune system is your security detail. It is hardwired to differentiate between what belongs in your body and what doesn’t. When it spies a meddler, such as a virus, bacterium, or parasite, it shoots to kill. Unfortunately, the system is not perfect. Sometimes it targets healthy tissues, a situation that, if it persists under ...
- Cavemen Ate $12 Burgers “One of the greatest challenges facing small grass-based family farmers today is the American expectation of low priced food. As a culture, we’re now accustomed to spending only about 6.8 percent of our income on daily nourishment1 – the lowest figure in human history. At the same time, health problems and obesity rise every year. These two realities ...
- Power Supply/Nutrition Challenge Coming This Monday! A Power Supply representative will be stopping by the coming Monday (10/7) at 6pm to hand out samples of their meals. For those of you who don’t know what Power Supply is, you can check them out here. Also, anyone participating in the upcoming Nutrition Challenge will receive a 10% discount off Power supply meals. Speaking ...