Ben has a nice plank position. A straight line from his shoulders to heels.
Kristy is "reaching" during this push-up. Notice how her chin drops below her chest.
Common Lousy Push-ups
- Sagging: Dropping the belly in an attempt to hit, or reach bottom early.
- Piking: Sticking the butt up in the air. This is usually accompanying a rest
- Resting: Coming to a stop. This is usually tried at the top, often while piking, but may manifest as a collapse at the bottom.
- Bouncing: This cheat is, exactly as the name implies, bouncing to rise to top again without effort. This is a big hit with fat guys.
- Yogaing: With this cheat the head and neck lead followed by the chest then belly. It is a dynamic variant of sagging, but often performed as though it were a plus or artistic.
- Reaching: Reaching’s most common form is with the head and neck. Some cheaters can extend their head and neck an extra six inches in an attempt to find bottom early and avoid the pain of a real push-up. Look for the nose a foot below the chest.
- Speeding: The count should be a slow "one-two" up and "one-two" down unless doing timed efforts like the Tabata Interval. For reps, they have to be slow and controlled.
- Shorting: This is the worst and most common cheat where the cheater typically doesn’t go all the way down. Not rising to the top is less common but still cheating.
Now you know what you’re doing wrong, lets work hard to make them better.
Workout of the Day
Warm up to find your max clean(1RM) and the max number of consecutitive push ups.
Then 5 rds for time of:
50% max clean 12 reps
50% max push ups
Score: Add max clean (pounds) to max push-ups (reps) and divide by time (seconds) to completion for circuit.